I Drowned .. But I Survived


  

   I was just a child with big dreams and wild imagination. I was spending hours playing with my shabby doll. She was my only company so I named her SOULMA (Comes from Soul mate). I lived in solitude, my mom had to work all day and sometimes she stayed out until morning. I sort of hated my life.

   I was fourteen when my life has ruined. When mom took my childhood away and killed my sweet innocent dreams. Yes! I was forced to get married to a 30 years old man.  An irresponsible heartless man who made me live through hell. He didn’t just deprive me from my basic needs, but he also hit, insulted and raped me several times. I once asked mom if I can go back home but she said no. So I kept surviving my tragedy.  After months of my terrible marriage, my husband lost his job as we lost our home too. We spent some endless cold nights at the church until finally my husband found a job and we moved to another town.

   Through all these tough years, there were only two things that I have never lost or given up:  My faith in God and my education. I kept fighting for my dreams; nothing could ever stop me even my awful pregnancy. I finally graduated from high school at the age of eighteen with my baby girl around my arms. It was my first time I felt that proud.


   Today, I become truthfully a mature and strong woman. I am now the voice of hundred underage marriage victims. My dream came true, and I became an advocate whose duty is to protect those little innocent children from adult abusing. And let the wide world know what childhood really means.
Inspired by a true story

Photographer: Saber TAYEBIOUI 
Athlete (MERMAID): Khadija CHIKAR

Share:

0 comments